The Legend of Barney Thomson - Review

One of the joys of holding a cinema pass is to go to films which you normally might avoid because of the ever going price of a cinema outing. There will be lots of people who save it for the big Hollywood Blockbusters and I don't blame them. However, I would always encourage the cinema goer to give the lesser known films a chance as you might just end up surprised and end up with a more satisfying viewing experience. After all the less than satisfying flick, Fantastic 4 (couldn't resist the dig again), is proof that a big budget and the Hollywood machine isn't always a winning formula.

So where am I going with this?

Enter the talent of Mr Robert Carlyle and a film with a distinctive Scottish taste and you end up with a wee film that is pretty good and worth a night out at the cinema. This film marks the first big screen directing credit for Robert Carlyle and the man himself takes on the title role of Barney Thomson, a bit of a wet blanket of a man who ends up embroiled in the dark comedic events surrounding the life of a serial killer. It was the fact that Robert Carlyle was in this that drove me to go and see it, I think he is a absolute gem of an actor (I still regret the day I saw him in Toys r us in Govan and didn't say hello to him).

Without the massive budget behind him, Mr Carlyle creates a wonderful stylish film which will hold your attention from start to finish. However, lets not forget the supporting cast in this one. The legend that is Ray Winstone churns out another of his stellar performances as Detective Hold-all, and you will love watching this detective work on the case of serial killer. AND THEN THERE IS Emma Thomson, who has been done up to look like a typical mental Glaswegian chain-smoking, bingo playing Scottish granny. Thomson takes on the role of Barney Thomson's mother and yet again its a performance I will not forget, as she is absolutely brilliant - even the Scottish accent comes out very natural.

I love the fact that this film is set in Glasgow and again shows just what we can do with the Scottish Film Industry - the sad thing is I doubt this film will find a huge worldwide audience simply for the reason I think it won't get a lot of advertising support. If you happen to see it playing in your cinema of when it eventually hits the DVD shelf then do yourself a favour and go and see it. I promise you will enjoy it.

For all its elements, the story, the actors, the fact that Robert Carlyle did this one; I am giving it a **** rating. 

The Jafwords rating system.
***** (Awesome)
**** (Almost awesome but with some flaws)
*** (To be honest it could have been better)
** (Struggling to say good things)
* (Dear director give me my money back)          

Comments

A Tribute to my Dad

A Tribute to my Dad
Loved and Missed.

Popular posts from this blog

A new week and an update.

The Texture Tank Revisited - Film

Warpath - A Star Trek Fan Comic (#FanFiction)