A brilliant Trainwreck of a Comedy

The summer comedy Trainwreck finally pulls into the cinema station and after watching it last night it's time to give it my completely in depth and insight review (are you laughing yet?)

So let's start off with the right tone straight away - if you want to laugh, then you must go and see this film. You pretty much know what you are getting when Judd Apatow is involved; either as director, producer or writer, he brings a solid pedigree of good comedy along with him. Mr Apatow steps behind the camera as Director/Producer and the writing credit is handed to the film's star Amy Schumer.

The film is a romantic comedy which follows Amy Shumer as 'Amy' a Men's magazine writer who looks to be pretty much on a road to self-destruction (hence the title). That is until she meets Bill Hader's character, surgeon to athletes 'Aaron Conners' after being assigned to write a story on him for the magazine. Amy then starts to face a life she is totally accustomed to or prepared for.

So that is the basics of the story. What about the actual writing? To be honest I don't know too much about Amy Schumer, we don't get to see much of her here in Scotland. However, just based on this film, it is clear she has an absolute wealth of talent. I am looking forward to seeing her write more. I am sure Judd Apatow experience has helped polish this film but it can't be denied that it has started off from an extremely strong position to begin with.

The acting in this film is top notch and Amy really has created a lead character that you will go on an emotional rollercoaster with. Bill Hader is his usual brilliant self. I could go on forever about how good he is as an actor and comedian (but  I don't want to bore you) - he is great in this film.

Amy Shumer and Bill Hader really work well as a onscreen pair and after seeing this I am pretty sure we will see them together again onscreen. You will laugh, you might cry and I am sure you will walk out that cinema hall with a smile on your face.

The directing is great, maybe not as brilliantly done as I have seen Apatow do in other films but the slight roughness around the edges I think adds to the tone of the film and I suspect Apatow's plan from the start.
 
Yes its finally time I break out one of my top recommendations and give this film the full ***** rating. So if its date night, or friends looking for a decent film or you just want to go to the cinema to feel that little bit more uplifted then this is the film for you! 

The Jafwords rating system.
***** (Awesome)
**** (Almost awesome but with some flaws)
*** (To be honest it could have been better)
** (Struggling to say good things)
* (Dear director give me my money back)

Comments

A Tribute to my Dad

A Tribute to my Dad
Loved and Missed.

Popular posts from this blog

A new week and an update.

The Texture Tank Revisited - Film

Warpath - A Star Trek Fan Comic (#FanFiction)