Pixels - the Arcade Fights Back

I was born at the start of the 80s and so fortunate enough to know computer games when they were really "COMPUTER GAMES"! If you never played things like Manic Miner, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man then your childhood must have been utterly empty. Thankfully, along comes Adam Sandler, the directing power of Chris Columbus and the writing talent of Tim Herlihy and we get all our old favourite games on the silver screen. First of all let's give credit to the original idea - a short film called "Pixels" by Patick Jean. If you haven't seen this then do this film maker the favour of checking out the short and from it you will see the numerous elements that were carried over into the feature film...so well done Patrick!
But wait a minute! Pac-man is the bad guy? NO WAY!!!!

 A few days ago I went and saw Pixels and with Mr Sandler involved I knew I was going to be in for a good time. I have to admit it I do love Adam Sandler films (and yes I am of the opinion there really isn't a bad one). So you can imagine where the rest of my simple review is going to go.

So the premise of this one. Aliens encounter arcade transmissions of old games in outer space and interpret these as a hostile declaration of war. So they create giant real life versions of the games and send them to Earth to fight.
Okay so you know the story is miles out there and totally beyond belief but it's meant to be that way. So what where the positives  - well for me Adam Sandler gives his usual solid performance. Admittedly, he kind of plays the same recurring character type, but that is his strength and he is really good at it. Kevin James always teams up well with Sandler in these types of films and so we get a fairly decent turn out from him, perhaps not the best role I have seen him in and he didn't give his many laugh out loud moments but his character did have a more serious role in the film I suppose. The next positive, playing Violet van Patten, was actress Michelle Monaghan. Very little you could fault her on this. her pairing with Adam Sandler was effective and you got a good sense of chemistry between the two characters.

Negatives - funny thing is with this...that bits that irritated me were to do with a characters personality or trait which I am sure was designed to be annoying and hence a credit to the actor who played them. Peter Dinklage is by far one of my favourite actors. The man is gifted and if you are a fan of Game of Thrones you will know what I mean. His character in this film, Eddie Plant, is imaged after gaming champion Billy Mitchell (at least that is what I have heard). However, he is set up as Sandler's enemy and as such you can't help but hate him.

So what is my real opinion of this film. It was good - and its worth seeing. You will leave the cinema smiling after this one and so I give it a two thumbs up. Its not ground breaking but it doesn't set itself up to be like that at all.    
It gets my **** rating and just a fraction away from my ***** rating. I liked it and it will be a film I will purchase when it hits the DVD shelf (I do have to complete my Adam Sandler collection after all).

The Jafwords rating system.
***** (Awesome)
**** (Almost awesome but with some flaws)
*** (To be honest it could have been better)
** (Struggling to say good things)
* (Dear director give me my money back)

Comments

A Tribute to my Dad

A Tribute to my Dad
Loved and Missed.

Popular posts from this blog

Warpath - A Star Trek Fan Comic (#FanFiction)

The Texture Tank Revisited - Film

A new week and an update.